Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Why No Solar Panels??

Ok, some people are probably asking if I'm crazy, after all solar panels don't really give a lot of bang for the buck. But it wouldn't add that much cost or weight to incorporate the roof of the Leaf with solar panels.

I mean, the car has regenerative braking to help recharge the batteries. And the car is being aimed square are people who commute less than 40 miles each way.

HELLO? Nissan? Most of those people who commute do so and then work 9 to 5, while their car SITS OUTSIDE in a parking lot. A bright, sunny, parking lot. While a solar panel making 45 watts might not be a whole lot, over the course of 8 hours that can add up to a few extra miles of charge for getting home.

Even Toyota has seen the light (sorta) by adding panels to the Prius that run a cooling system so, while your car sits out in the hot sun, baking, it's using some of the energy to try and cool the interior. Sweet.

I don't care if the car gets hot inside. I can roll down the windows. But I hate knowing that my car is sitting in the parking lot at work and not doing anything, when it could be charging itself.

I currently have a 20-mile commute, so my daily milage, (with a trip out to lunch, or the bank, or the post office, and maybe stop for groceries on the way home) is probably less than 50 miles per day. I own a garage with electricity in it.

Basically I'm the perfect market segment for this car. But I work 9am to 6pm. That's 9 hours (actually 9.5 if you count that I usually arrive early and leave late) that the car could be charging itself in daylight.

Nissan... PLEASE, PLEASE put some damn solar panels into the roof. Honestly, some black might make that car look a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment